Saturday, February 10, 2007

Another Serial Console Tech Deal

Just found this Startech.com serial port expansion card on sale at PC Connection:

2-Port 16550 Serial PCI Card, Special Buy - Save $4 - $27.95

Only recently have I been introduced to the coolness factor of a console connection, thanks to a 2960 Cisco switch my company bought, and the Thecus 2100 I installed debian on incorrectly and had to connect via a serial connection to fix it. The Thecus n2100 with debian is now running well and it is the coolest thing I've worked with in awhile!

I'm also planning to pick up an Ethernet Power Controller II from Digital Loggers soon too. At $295 I'll be able to save money by not having to keep several PCs plugged in waiting for a wake on lan (WOL) magic packet. Would you believe a powered-off PC still consumes several watts of power? Believe it. Its a good reason to completely disconnect from the power supply when you're not using it. Same with TVs, actually TVs consume even more power I think to keep the CRT warm and ready for fast action.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home