Saturday, February 10, 2007

Cisco Router, Soekris or PC Engines WRAP

I just registered at Cisco.com and am really pumped up to learn IOS. Only I have a question: where is the best place to buy Cisco gear?

In the past I bought a Cisco switch from Newegg.com, and that was fine, but from what I now understand, you can get IOS updates if you have a service contract. So where do you buy one of those? Also, what is the best device to learn on? Obviously I don't want to drop a ton of cash for a development station, so far the cheapest device with IOS I've found is over $500. If I could find one cheaper that would be great. For example, the Cisco Catalyst 2940-8TT Ethernet Switch costs almost $600 at PCs for Everyone.

Got my Cisco.com login id working but it doesn't do much for me yet. They do seel direct which I'm investigating now. Hmm, seems like the Cisco.com website doesn't like me for some reason, it keeps stalling endlessly. Perhaps they only serve to Windows clients, while I am on a Macbook. Its very possible since I bet that 99% of their customers visit their website from a Windows machine, well actually I bet a bunch of visitors use linux or BSD.

While I was at it I checked out the Soekris Engineering site and remembered they have some pretty sweet items. Unfortunately they are difficult to buy, but I did track down this cool company, Metrix.net, that sells Soekris hardware.

There are two Cisco items I have in mind, the Cisco 871W and the Cisco WS-C2950-12. These are nice machines that both come with IOS installed, but they are both over $500. Guess you got to "pay to play".

I was thinking of using the 871W as a wireless network, but I remembered that I picked up a mini-PCI Intel wireless card last week from Centrix for only $30. Nice. I'm going to install that into the Thecus n2100.

Cisco 871 and 851 comparison

In the end, I think I'm going to go with a Netgate m1n1wall, for $215, unassembled. Its pretty cheap, very low power, and runs m0n0wall, which is an open-source solution. Right now I can't afford a Cisco support agreement, so it doesn't make much sense to buy their gear. Furthermore, I don't have time to learn IOS, as much as I'd like. If I find some time soon I would love to get trained and CCNA certified.

You can find the Netgate m1n1wall here:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=312{4}26

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home